Ethical Framework for Web Design
In every industry, those who choose to operate above-board have to define and adopt a set of ethical guidelines that govern their business activities. As a professional Web developer, I adhere to the following code of ethics:
- I will deal honestly and fairly with my clients at all times, making every effort to deliver work within the estimated time frame and budget.
- I will insure, to the best of my ability, that the information I publish on behalf of my clients is true and complete and is not in any way misleading to potential customers.
- I will not knowingly distribute information that is in any way deceptive, defamatory, libelous, or scandalous; nor will I assist clients in defaming their competition.
- In the event that one of my clients with an active account that is paid up and in good standing wants to move to another provider, I will promptly provide the client with the information needed to move their site(s) or domain(s).
- I will not use nor participate in the distribution of unlicensed or pirated software ("warez") nor work on any site that encourages intellectual property theft or copyright violations, nor knowingly use or assist a client in using any plagiarized or stolen content, nor in any other way violate another person's intellectual property rights.
- I will not utilize nor distribute "spyware" in any form.
- Except when necessary for security reasons (for example, on payment pages), I will not use repeating windows, "loops," nor any other code that disables the browser's "Back" button, nor any other technology that attempts to "trap" a visitor into a site or to force them to remain on a page for a longer time than desired by the visitor.
- I will not participate in "Web rings" designed to artificially increase search engine popularity ratings.
- I will not utilize deceptive, excessive, or "black hat" search engine optimization techniques.
- I will not utilize pop-up windows, pop-under windows, or other intrusive technologies for advertising purposes.
- I will not participate in any activity having as its intent or effect the artificial inflation of Web site statistics to increase advertising revenues, or for any other reason.
- I will attempt to use the simplest code that will produce the desired result, utilizing advanced scripting technologies only when necessary and when their use enhances a site's effectiveness and/or the visitor's experience.
For more information, please feel free to contact me .