A Hashtag is a keyword or phrase preceded by the hash symbol (#). A hashtag is spelled out without spaces. The hashtag is a medium of communicating and expanding your business on social media.
People search hashtags on their favorite social media websites to discover more of what they’re interested in. With hundreds of thousands of images being posted on social platforms daily, it can be hard to get your content out there to the people who need to see it, outside your followers. That’s where hashtags come into play.
By using hashtags in your content or post, you help social platforms to crawl your content in a way that is searchable to everyone, not just to your followers. For example, if you are a company that is selling shoes you can add the hashtags #menshoes or #womenshoes to your posts, like to find people looking for little shoes.
Benefits of using Hashtags
1. Hashtags make online research easy for people using social media. For example, if you are searching for #Trending sunglasses. Typing that hashtags allows the person to find loads of results relevant to that hashtag.
- Hashtags allow people to take action and explore your brand.
- Hashtags make finding content a lot easier for social media users. A unique hashtag can set a trend for others where your post can stand out to the users who find the hashtag valuable.
- Hashtags can raise awareness of your business and get more customers.
How To Use Your Hashtag?
Follow these steps to create effective social media hashtags
- Use capital letters at the Starting of each word to help clarify your message.
- Keep your hashtag as short as possible. Using too many words in your hashtag will lessen the impact of your message.
- Don’t hashtag just any word as all hashtags are equally effective.
- Don’t overuse hashtags. Instead, you should only hashtag the significant words.
- Watch your competitors before using hashtags. You should pay attention to see how much or how little they use hashtags for engaging the audience.
Types Of Social Media Hashtags
There are three main types of hashtags for marketing:
Brand hashtags Should have three key points to consider, they need to be concise, catchy and most importantly, be unique to the brand. For your general branding hashtags, try to make them like a short motto or tagline. for e.g : Kitkat. They converted their brand tagline into the #HaveABreak.
Content hashtags are used to engage a target audience. While using content hashtags, try to see from the eyes of your customers. What are they interested in? What would appeal to them? In basic terms, descriptive hashtags work best.
Brand-specific hashtags will become more effective over time as you build a following on social media. Which is why content hashtags are best for those just starting out.
It’s also easier to come up with and use content hashtags. Simply look at keywords related to your business or area of expertise, and use these hashtags in your posts. If your post has value, then people who see it might decide to follow your page to get future updates and posts from you.
Trending hashtags are often popular among millions of users. But before using them in your posts, ask yourself if your post will add any value to the ongoing discussions.
Value can mean many things. If your post has no value, then it will be lost in the sea of other posts. On the other hand, if your post has that unique spark, then it will go viral. A viral hashtag post will be seen by thousands of people and get shared over and over again. Thus raising massive awareness of your business.